Yarmouth Colts Mission Statement
The Colts Soccer Club is a community organization whose mission is to provide Yarmouth kids the opportunity to learn and enjoy the sport of soccer in an encouraging and competitive environment. We emphasize:
- Player development. Individual player development is an important aspect of every practice and game. By participating throughout the season, our athletes learn age-appropriate soccer skills and strategies, as well as lessons in teamwork, discipline and sportsmanship.
- Positive, supportive coaching. Our coaches encourage and challenge players to learn, improve and play as a team. They try to identify and build on the strengths of each player in the belief that improved confidence leads to better play and a more positive team experience.
- Team-oriented competitive play. We approach soccer with a competitive spirit guided by the belief that success is more than a number on the scoreboard. True success is found in the attitude players and coaches bring to the game and the way they approach growing and learning as a team.
- Good sportsmanship and love of the game. We expect our athletes to play hard, play fair, have fun, and show respect for everyone involved in the game--coaches, teammates, opponents, referees, and spectators. We expect our coaches to keep sportsmanship and enjoyment of the sport a priority throughout the Colts' years.
- Community. We believe in being a positive member of the larger team that is our community. Through charitable club efforts, we hope to model the significance of community involvement and to demonstrate that volunteerism and outreach can be fun and rewarding.
We are a non-profit organization, run by volunteers and governed according to the guidelines set forth by Soccer Maine, the governing body for the sport in the state. Since our founding in 1992, our mandate and structure have changed dramatically, responding to the changing tenor of the community, shifting demographics, competing soccer options and to changes in the game itself. The Board has had to be and, no doubt will continue to be, flexible in its approach. However, one thing hasn’t changed over the years: we remain dedicated to the development of good soccer players... and even better kids.